Long-time fans of Zoozoo Into the Wild will be elated to learn about a FREE Teacher’s Guide for the series! The comprehensive guide offers various classroom activities for the nonfiction, fiction, wordless books, and poetry cards that are included in the Zoozoo Into the Wild series.
The series features eight different animals: Elephant, Frog, Giraffe, Hippo, Lion, Orangutan, Tiger, and Zebra. Each animal has a narrative, informational, and wordless book in which they are featured. By using these titles together, students can learn how to distinguish nonfiction from fictional texts, making them critical and active readers.
“Listen to the Poem:
- Read the poem to the children without showing the illustrations.
- Ask them to listen carefully and try to picture what the hippos are doing in the poem.
- Read the poem twice. Then ask the children to retell the poem in their own words.
- Display the poetry card to the group and read the poem again” (12)
Reading the poem aloud allows the children to really focus on the semantic meanings of the words and boosts their visualization skills. After listening, the children can “Hear the Poem”:
- “Read the first two lines of the hippo pome. Ask the children to identify any words that rhyme.
- Reread the first two lines, leaving out one of the rhyming words. Ask the children to fill in the blanks.
- Repeat this with the last two lines of the poem.
- Read the whole poem to the group, leaving out some of the rhyming words. Ask the children to fill in the blanks” (12)
View the FREE Teacher's Guide at this link. To download information about Zoozoo Into the Wild, click the image below.