The holidays bring so many seasonal joys to the neighborhood--decorations, carols, gifts, and more! Perhaps the most anticipated part, however, is the bountiful sweets and treats that we can only enjoy once a year.
Children love joining their parents in the kitchen. Why not bring this exciting experience to the classroom with Gingerbread Kids? Part of the Story World Real World series, Gingerbread Kids is leveled at Guided Reading Level K.
- Ask your students if they have ever baked in the kitchen. What did they bake? What was the experience like?
- What is a gingerbread cookie? What does it taste like? Write down adjectives that describe gingerbread cookies on the board. Has anyone baked a gingerbread cookie before?
- One-by-one, read and discuss the list of ingredients to make gingerbread cookies. Ask your students if they’ve eaten or baked with each ingredient before. If so, what does it taste like?
- Use the glossary to look up the definition of
- What do the numbers represent? (Measurements; or, in other words, how much of an ingredient you need.) Why are these numbers important?
- How is the list on this page different from the list on the previous page?
- Discuss the function of lists, using the 2 ingredients lists and your adjective lists as a guide. In the case of ingredients, the lists help us easily understand different items that go into making gingerbread cookies. In case of adjectives, the list gives us a lot of information in a concise fashion.
Sequencing activity for guided reading:
- Photocopy pages 6 for each student. Using pages 8−13, ask students to number each item on the ingredients list as they are used. For example, “flour, baking soda, and ginger” will be numbered 1, 2, and 3 because they are used at the very beginning of the baking process.
- This sequencing activity is not only useful for baking, but will also help students improve their comprehension skills for narrative plots!
What is your favorite holiday treat? Let us know in the comments below!
Click the image below to download an informational sheet about the Story World Real World Series, which includes the books featured in this blog post.